Academic Areas: Biomedical engineering， Biochemistry
Research Interests: protein misfolding, amyloid formation and inhibition, amyloid fibrils as functional materials
PhD in Chemistry, 2010, State University of New York at Stony Brook University
MS in Chemistry, 2004, Nankai University
BS in Chemical Engineering, 2001, Tianjin University of Science and Technology
2016-present: Associate Professor, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
2013-2015: Postdoc Research Associate, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
1. Andisheh Abedini， Annette Plesner, Ping Cao, Zachary Ridgway, Jinghua Zhang, Ling-Hsien Tu, Chris T Middleton, Brian Chao, Daniel J Sartori, Fanling Meng, Hui Wang, Amy G Wong, Martin T Zanni, C Bruce Verchere, Daniel P Raleigh*, Ann Marie Schmidt*. “Time-resolved studies define the nature of toxic IAPP intermediates, providing insight for anti-amyloidosis therapeutics” (2016) eLife, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.12977
2. Christine C. Lee, Mark Julian, Kathryn Tiller, Fanling Meng, Sarah DuConge, Rehana Akter, Daniel Raleigh, Peter M Tessier. “Design and optimization of anti-amyloid domain antibodies specific for beta-Amyloid and islet amyloid polypeptide” (2016) Journal of Biological Chemistry 291,2858-2873,
3. Fanling Meng and Daniel P. Raleigh. “Sulfated Triphenyl Methane Derivatives are Potent Inhibitors of Amyloid Formation by pro-Islet Amyloid Polypeptide Processing Intermediates and also Inhibit Glycosaminoglycan Catalyzed Amyloid Formation” (2011) Journal of Molecular Biology, 406,491-502.
4. Fanling Meng, Andisheh Abedini, and Daniel P. Raleigh “Combination of Kinetically Selected Inhibitors in Trans Leads to Highly Effective Inhibition of Amyloid Formation.”(2010) Journal of the American Chemical Society, 132, 14340-14342.
5. Fanling Meng, Andisheh Abedini, Annette Plesner, Katherine J. Potter, C. Bruce Verchere and Daniel P. Raleigh. “The Flavanol (-)-Epigallocatechin 3-Gallate Inhibits Amyloid Formation by Islet Amyloid Polypeptide, Disaggregates Amyloid Fibrils, and Protects Cultured Cells against IAPP-Induced Toxicity” (2010) Biochemisry, 49, 8127-8133.
6. Fanling Meng, Andisheh Abedini, Annette Plesner, Katherine J. Potter, C. Bruce Verchere and Daniel P. Raleigh. “Sulfated Triphenyl Methane Derivatives are Potent Inhibitors of Amyloid Formation by Human Islet Amyloid Polypeptide and Protect against the Toxic Effect of Amyloid Formation” (2010) Journal of Molecular Biology, 400, 555-566.
7. Ping Cao, Fanling Meng, Andisheh Abedini and Daniel P. Raleigh. “The Ability of Rodent Islet Amyloid Polypeptide To Inhibit Amyloid Formation by Human Islet Amyloid Polypeptide Has Important Implications for the Mechanism of Amyloid Formation and the Design of Inhibitors.” (2010) Biochemistry, 49 872-881.
8.Fanling Meng, Peter Marek, Kathryn J. Potter, C. Bruce Verchere and Daniel P. Raleigh. “Rifampicin does not Prevent Amyloid Fibril Formation by Human Islet Amyloid Polypeptide but does Inhibit Fibril Thioflavin-T Interactions: Implications for Mechanistic Studies Beta-cell Death” (2008) Biochemistry, 47 6016-6024
9. Andisheh Abedini, Fanling Meng and Daniel P. Raleigh. “A Single Point Mutation Converts Highly Amyloidogenic Human Islet Amyloid Polypeptide into a Potent Inhibitor of Fibrillization.” (2007) Journal of the American Chemical Society, 129 11300-11301
10. Fanling Meng, Andisheh Abedini, Benben Song and Daniel P. Raleigh. “Amyloid Formation by proIAPP Processing Intermediates: Examination of the Role of Protein-Heparan Sulfate Interactions and Implications for Islet Amyloid Formation in Type 2 Diabetes.” (2007) Biochemistry, 46 12091-12099.
1. Mechanism of amyloid formation which associate with amyloidosis such as Type 2 diabetes, Alzeimers disease
2. Design inhibitors of amyloid formation
3. Amyloid fibrils as functional materials